Thursday, July 03, 2014

My Current Can't live without Apps

Runkeeper- Not is it only great at tracking your run/walk trail, it is priceless when it comes to tracking that paddle trail. Since I kayak almost daily I use RK to track my routes. If you sign up for RK elite it will display your route live, so you can share your present float plan with your friends. I never look at the display, however I do have the audible levels set every 5 minutes announcing my split times, mph and distance traveled. This allows me to improve each time out.

Map Measure- When you need to know a distance of a planned run, hike, beach walk or paddle excursion, "Map Measure" is pinpoint accurate. Since  it uses Google maps, you can map your route viewing it via terrain or satellite. I love using it to pre-plan routes I might kayak.  This way I know the distance of my visual paddle goal before I start. Even if RunKeeper quits for some unknown reason, I can measure any distance easily with "map measure" and enter the information manually on RunKeeper

Waze- I threw away my garmin after I started using this. It is a drain on your smartphone, so you best plug it in to your car's lighter switch. I typically leave the app running in the background and listen for audio cues when running on familiar roads. This way I get traffic notifications, speed traps and even roadkill that might be in my path. The maps display in 2d or 3d and very detailed. Waze was purchased by Google Maps, so you may see a lot of similarities in the future. I love the Waze scoreboard, I'm presently a Knight who is fast approaching Royal Status.

Drippler- The best way to keep up with the latest Android Updates

Google Sky Maps-  Who doesn't like to look at the stars and it's even nicer when you know what you are looking at.

Riverflows- Before you paddle any moving water, you need to know the present and projected riverflow. If it's to low and slow it could make for a lot of portages. A high volume flow could be dangerous, so do a little research before hitting the paddle trail. When it's not possible to scout all the rapids on a river, using a tool like "map measure" above will not only give you a satellite detailed view, but it will allow you to measure distances to, from and between sets of rapids. "Knowledge is power and this has always aided me on my kayak treks."

Flipp- All your major Retail and Grocery Sale Circulars in one easily accessible place.

5by- When you need to laugh, be inspired, need to be shocked or love those fail videos. Now if you wish to share or see what you are watching on the TV, 5by will stream to your TV via Chromecast

CastStore- The easiest way to keep up with the latest in Chromecast apps

GoogleKeep- Simple note taker

No comments: