Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Finally I've hit my kayaking stride


My son bought me a kayak for Christmas. Because of the late Spring, it was the end of April before I ventured out on the water again. My first paddle was only one mile. Subsequent paddles allowed me to  increased my distances to 1.5 miles, 2.5 miles,  this Saturday and Sunday a 4.52 miles and 4.44 miles.  I've learned over the years it's best to pace yourself before jumping fully back into a n activity. This is something I've done with walking and running. I've also learned there are techniques that help one move faster with less effort. Exercise should be fun and not punishing.  That being said, I never did develop a love for running, however I did for walking and found I could  walk 20k at a steady 12-13 minute  mile pace without ever tiring. This was because I focused on developing a a comfortable stride. 

Over the last few weeks kayaking I've finally hit my stride. I know this because of the distance I paddle and the last 2.5 miles paddled non stop at a 4.1-4.2 mph pace on a 4.5 mile trek. When I kayaked 2.5 miles late Sunday, I did so non-stop once again avg over 4mph. Every outing when I return to the dock I show no signs of fatigue or sweating.  All  this tells me is that I can step up my distance. I'll most likely jump to a 6-6.5 mile paddle next. Hopefully  I should be able to kayak 10 miles with the same ease as I paddled these 4.5 mile treka.


To keep it challenging I'll continue to kayak in either a 12 ft sit in or 12 ft SOT kayak. My Perception Patriot 12 sit in paddles faster and let's me hit the 4mph mark, my 12ft Perception Pescador Sit On Top is a little slower around 3.7 mph. I know from experience that a 15-17 ft kayak will let me cover even greater distance in less time(5-6 mph), but my main goal  here is to exercise without making it to easy.

RunKeeper has helped me document my time, pace, routes and distances. RK is a free app and even if you don't care to download the app, you can join for free and follow my progress online. If  I inspire you to kayak more for exercise, please feel free to add me on your friends list, so I can follow your progress. It's tough to find kayakers on RK, since you can't do a "similar interest search'.  Below is today's kayak track via RunKeeper:

Just completed a 4.52 mi activity with . Check it out!



No comments: