Tuesday, April 08, 2014

MAP MEASURE BY J4VELIN IS Hands down this is the best measuring App I've ever used

I'm a hiker, walker, novice photographer and soon to be SUP person(Stand Up Paddleboard).  While I'm interested in my completion times, it's always distance that is more important to me. Even though there are numerous apps that will measure my distance, they are way to cumbersome. There are many apps that do an excellent task of measuring distance like. My favorite of these is  Runkeeper, however it does require you to be engaged in the activity in order to measure one's distance. It is cool that it shows your trek even if it's on water.
If you are like me  "THE NEED TO KNOW DISTANCE"  is  important  to know before hand. "Knowing the distance between points, can help in various outdoor activities.

Until now it was possible to ascertain these distances by some sort of crude scale feature on a map. While the results were fairly accurate, it was more time consuming.  It was great to see someone finally came up with an App(Android) that is simple and easy to use. Anyone who is active in the outside will find Map Measure j4velin to be priceless.  It is definitely one of my top 20 must have apps. 

 Now when I take  telephoto shots of a bird or animal, I can easily tell my viewer,  exactly how far away my subject was when I snapped the shot. The photo below was taken from a distance of 156.48 ft, 47.69 meters, 52.16 yds, .03 miles, .05km or .03 nautical miles. Before Map measure I could only guess at how many feet away, now you can see that I can even give it to  in nautical miles  for my pirate friends. 



The next time I plan a kayaking, hiking or SUP  excursion, I can measure the distance of my trek before hand. On more ambitious treks, I can plot my distances from various launch points to my various take out points. I love the fact I can be more precise when giving people actual distances from my dock to other points on the lake. Best of all if I'm visiting somewhere, I can plan events way ahead of time.  This way I can rest assured I don't paddle or hike any further than I should. Knowing how far key points are along the way, serves as a reward and always gives me an extra boost of adrenaline to continue on with renewed vigor.



No comments: